CTKArch · Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.  |  Search
Posted: Oct 08, 2011 6:51:34 pm
bootflag
icon

I just installed k9copy. My daughter watches her dvd's so many times and handles them kinda rough sometimes, so I thought I'd make backup copies.
I can launch k9copy fine from a terminal, but when I use the openbox menu I get
PHP Code:
text ended before matching quote was found for " the text was "k9copy -caption""

I was wondering where exactly is the openbox applications menu piped from, so that I might edit out the extra "
parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on
Posted: Oct 09, 2011 7:54:59 pm
Calimero
icon

This extra double quote is in /usr/share/applications/k9copy.desktop or k9copy_assistant.desktop.
The fact that openbox-menu cuts the command on it is… perhaps a bug, depending on the freedesktop spec. I will discuss that with the dev.

And a remark: you don't need this software to make backup copies of DVDs. Not at all.
Just use dd. dd conv=noerror if=/dev/sr0 of=~/thedvd.iso and play the iso file with SMPlayer or VLC!

Or, simply copy the files in the DVD somewhere and you can (yes, absolutely!) open the VIDEO_TS folder it contains with SMPlayer or VLC.
Posted: Oct 09, 2011 9:10:39 pm
bootflag
icon

Thanks Calimero, but I need to make new dvd's for my daughter. She watches them in her portable dvd player. She has her own computer, but it only has a 160Gb hard drive. She probably has about 50 dvds that she watches repeatedly.
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 8:10:02 am
Cereal-Killer
icon

@ Calimero: K9copy can reduce the size of the DVD (to burn it on a single-layer DVD), removing menus, unused language and bonus; that's why Bootflag use it.

@ Bootflag: perhaps you can use another software to do that, Developments on K9Copy are stopped (see here); you can try XDVDShrink, DVD95, or Shrinkta (AKA DVD-movie-backup) to do the same job (all in AUR).
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 4:54:59 pm
bootflag
icon

Quote: Cereal-Killer at Oct 10, 2011 8:10:02 am
@ Calimero: K9copy can reduce the size of the DVD (to burn it on a single-layer DVD), removing menus, unused language and bonus; that's why Bootflag use it.

@ Bootflag: perhaps you can use another software to do that, Developments on K9Copy are stopped (see here); you can try XDVDShrink, DVD95, or Shrinkta (AKA DVD-movie-backup) to do the same job (all in AUR).

I use a dual layer dvd burner. K9 copy allows you to change in the size of the output in the settings. I use 8.5Gb. No need to remove anything. 
As long as I can faithfully reproduce an exact backup I will be using k9copy. The developer may think dvds are dead, but my daughter doesn't.
Posted: Oct 10, 2011 6:50:54 pm
Calimero
icon

K9copy's entry in FBpanel's menu also works perfectly, you can use that.

The only problem is with the dynamic openbox-menu software that generates the app menu for the right-click menu on the desktop.
I told the developer, this should be fixed eventually.

I was not saying “don't use k9copy”, I was just evoking raw copy, in case that could be useful.