CTKArch · Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.  |  Search
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 5:49:19 am
polekat73
icon

Basically what Im looking for is, how do I install programs that arent in the arch repositories. I really like teamviewer and I would love to have it on my Archbox. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 8:22:41 am
Cereal-Killer
icon

Teamviewer is in AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=36481

you just have to do in terminal:
BASH Code:
#yaourt -Sy (edit by Calimero: do not run yaourt -Sy, see below to know why)
yaourt teamviewer

NB: if you're on CTKArch 64, verify that your Multilib repo is active (you can see it when you do "yaourt -Sy")

NB2: the AUR version is build by extracting the *.deb file (to answer to your post title); there's also a *.tar.gz file on their website, but installing with yaourt is the "clean" (and easy) solution...
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 10:24:33 am
Calimero
icon

Never -Sy, cereal-killer. Seriously.
Never, ever tell anybody to -Sy again. Read this as an example of how much disaster it can lead to. (source)

Correct possible commands:
pacman -S package
pacman -Syu ; pacman -S package

For polekat:
yaourt -S teamviewer

nothing else.
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 12:17:12 pm
Cereal-Killer
icon

sorry, I search a moment to understand the problem of depends with version...
I never had a problem proceding like this, perhaps because my system is always up to date (I Syu all days)...

the example is hard to understand, I prefer this one

Polekat73: sorry for my mistake; the command (give by Calimero):
BASH Code:
yaourt -Syu
yaourt teamviewer

Calimero, you can punish me rocker2.gif
Posted: Nov 18, 2011 10:18:40 pm
polekat73
icon

Thank you very much Calimero. I am understading archlinux much better now. I was wondering if there is a package list somewhere and i was wondering how can i edit my date/time format, it is showing military time and i would like a normal 12 hour clock format.

I just love this version of linux, i have used ubuntu for about 3yrs now, until they went to ubuntu 11.

But I did like that it had a list of packages to make it easier to find programs to install.

-Damian
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 12:14:35 am
Calimero
icon

Quote: Cereal-Killer at Nov 18, 2011 12:17:12 pm
Polekat73: sorry for my mistake; the command (give by Calimero):
BASH Code:
yaourt -Syu
yaourt teamviewer

-Syu is not compulsory before installing a package. You can without any problem just run -S anytime.
Of course, if it fails, then run -Syu and try again.

In short: use -S without restriction, if you need an update, you'll have an error (but nothing broken, no worries).

PS: I definitely prefer the readline update story, it's so much scarier. :)

@polekat:
A package list? archlinux.org/packages
You can use yaourt keyword(s) to search for software doing something you'd like to do.
For instance, yaourt image viewer offers you a variety of software whose description match. Image viewers, here.

Note: sorry, but this is not “a version of linux”, strictly speaking. Linux is the kernel and is the same in all distributions, what is more.
What you are really commenting is ctkarch's desktop configuration and software choices; and also Arch Linux.
In short: « this software distribution/setup » is much more appropriate than « this version of linux ».

Changing panel's clock to 12-hour mode is easy. (did you know that 24-hour mode is what we call “normal” in France?)
If using fbpanel, this is in the documentation fbpanel.sourceforge.net/docs.html:
Edit ~/.config/fbpanel/default and in the last plugin section (type=dclock), in the config{} section, add:
HoursView = 12
(below ShowCalendar = true)
If using tint2, this is indicated in its documentation too, code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure:
add time1_format = %I:%M to ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc

Documentation exists for a purpose: reading it, which is what you should have done.
Posted: Nov 20, 2011 12:24:11 am
polekat73
icon

Calimero: thanks so much for your help and patience.

I appoligize for useing the term, "this version of linux"
I meant only to compliment you on such a fine job on this software distrubition/setup.
And I am impressed at the speed you have responded to my posts.

As far as the package list is concerned, I had no idea it existed.
So I thank you again for steering me in the right direction, you have taught me a great deal here.

--Damian