CTKArch · Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.  |  Search
Posted: Feb 04, 2011 5:07:28 pm
Indy452
icon

If I take your live cd 0.6 and do the install to hard drive will I be able to get back to a rolling release? I read that you must comment out the arm entry at the beginning of /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist to achieve this.  I'm not sure I understand the process "comment" can you be more specific what "comment" means?

Otherwise, I've been using CTKarch for a couple of months and find it very fascinating and easy to use....I may not fully understand all the working processes but I am trying.

Also, what yaourt command do I run to upgrade all installed packages?  What command do I run to remove a specific package such as Arora or Brasero for example?

Thank you Calimero!  Nice project indeed!  (C) 
Posted: Feb 04, 2011 6:12:36 pm
ancleessen4
icon

comment=#
Posted: Feb 06, 2011 12:16:50 pm
dipilibupap
icon

Removing packages

To remove a single package, leaving all of its dependencies installed:

# pacman -R package_name

To remove a package and it's dependencies which are not required by any other installed package:

# pacman -Rs package_name
Upgrading packages

pacman can update all packages on the system with just one command. This could take quite a while depending on how up-to-date the system is. This command can synchronize the repository databases and update the system's packages:

# pacman -Syu

Yaourt: Please read this: http://archlinux.fr/yaourt-en . It should help.
CTKARCH <3
Posted: Feb 06, 2011 12:41:51 pm
Calimero
icon

Quote: Indy452 at Feb 04, 2011 5:07:28 pm
If I take your live cd 0.6 and do the install to hard drive will I be able to get back to a rolling release?

Yup.
As you could read it at the bottom of ctkarch.org/documentation/0.6
Quote: Indy452 at Feb 04, 2011 5:07:28 pm
I read that you must comment out the arm entry at the beginning of /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist to achieve this.  I'm not sure I understand the process "comment" can you be more specific what "comment" means?

Get a root terminal using "su", modify the file with the command "nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist".

For the moment it looks like:
MIRRORLIST Code:
#
# Arch Linux repository mirrorlist
#

# Frozen repository using ARM
Server = http://arm.konnichi.com/2010/11/03/$repo/os/$arch

You must change it to:
MIRRORLIST Code:
#
# Arch Linux repository mirrorlist
#

# Frozen repository using ARM
#Server = http://arm.konnichi.com/2010/11/03/$repo/os/$arch

And dipilibudap answered the rest. ;)

Remember that when you use the rolling release repositories, you have to -Syu each time you want to install new software.
Otherwise you may install new software depending on new libraries, and it won't work as you have old libraries.
Posted: Feb 06, 2011 9:57:33 pm
Indy452
icon

Thank you.....I'm learning it for an old but very nice IBM laptop I received. Most of the other "distros" are too heavy and this one seems to fit the bill nicely.  I'll read more of the archwiki and hopefully I won't have too many questions. :)