CTKArch · Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.  |  Search
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 4:00:56 pm
bootflag
icon

I replaced Midori with Firefox and I want to replace Arora with Chromium. No offense but both Midori and Arora are just too slow. No trouble removing Midori but

PHP Code:
sudo pacman -R arora
error: 'arora': target not found
parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 5:07:53 pm
Calimero
icon

It's arora-git. You could have used pacman -Qs arora to know.

Do what you want, but for me midori is faster than chromium. Firefox performs quite well too. :)

EDIT: considered solved
Posted: May 05, 2011 9:41:15 am
libre fan
icon

Quote:
midori is faster than chromium. Firefox performs quite well too.

hear hear! Chromium is only apparently faster due to fud and only apparently free as in freedom since it has spy stuff inside. To me it's a smokescreen for Google's Chrome and all things Google. Mozilla does a great job for the open Web apart from producing Firefox and Thunderbird, so I think they deserve our support and use of their software.

On old compters we are grateful for Midori thouh Firefox runs fine on Puppy 5 (Lupu) on a Pentium II.
Posted: May 05, 2011 3:45:44 pm
bootflag
icon

I didn't say Chromium is better. I said it was faster than both Midori and Arora, which are both painfully slow. I click on a link in either of them, then I go get a cup of coffee and come back before the link is fully loaded.

Chromium uses DNS caching and prefetching to speed up page loading, which you interpret as "spying on you".
Google does gather information, but I believe it is mostly to increase their share of the market.

If you want a fast and safe (private) browser, try Dillo.   
Posted: May 05, 2011 4:12:45 pm
Calimero
icon

Arora and midori use the DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, whereas chromium uses google's DNS (8.8.8.8).
That's the point.
Just add nameserver 8.8.8.8 at the beginning of /etc/resolv.conf and you'll see that midori is faster than chomium. (when using a DNS server near to you!!)

The point for spying is about safebrowsing.google.com receiving your history because the browser asks it whether the page you are browsing is safe or not.

Jumanji is included in ctkarch, you can have a look at it too. ;)
Posted: May 07, 2011 4:41:13 am
bootflag
icon

You have convinced me.

I am using Midori instead of chromium, now.

Thanks for the good tip.