CTKArch · Forums
You are not logged in. Please Register or Login.  |  Search
Posted: Apr 18, 2011 9:49:04 pm
lamdacore
icon

I do not think this has been discussed in the forum, but correct me if I am wrong.

I am trying to set up the following partitions on a 16GB USB pendrive.
560mb install partition
1GB home folder partition
remainder ntfs/fat32 partition

I essentially want a ctkarch install on the pendrive, but use the remainder as a standard data partition that I can access on windows as well.

It is a Patriot Xporter XT Rage 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive PEF16GRUSB, if that helps.

Thank you.
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 6:55:08 am
Cereal-Killer
icon

this has been discussed here, but it's in french, so I can translate it...
the problem is that if you want to make a partition that can be accessed with Windows, it must be the first partition: it's impossible with the live system...
but you can install the live on a Fat32 partition, with this Calimero's tip:
BASH Code:
mkfs.vfat -n CTKArch7 -I /dev/sdx
mount /dev/sdx /mnt
mount -o loop ctkarchlive-0.7-i686.iso /media
cp -r /media/* /mnt/
umount /media /mnt
syslinux /dev/sdx

where you replace "sdx" with the real device of your usb-pendrive (sdb, sdc...).
if you have an error with that, copy us this error...
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 10:03:46 am
lamdacore
icon

So is it impossible to make two partitions and install the ctkarch on the second one?
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 9:53:50 am
Cereal-Killer
icon

on the same post, it's seems it's possible to use grub2, perhaps it should work...
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 10:37:34 am
lamdacore
icon

Thanks for your help. I got it working with fat32. How would I make a home and persistent settings? I understand, that to have saved settings I need the home folder and the rootrw folder. I can't do this via the script in the live install.

I am completely unfamiliar with grub 2 (have always used grub 1).  Would greatly appreciate if you could point me to how I can implement grub 2 on a usb.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 10:59:58 am
Cereal-Killer
icon

here is a very complete doc; I can't tell you more, I'm also unfamiliar with Grub2...
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 5:22:05 pm
lamdacore
icon

Thanks for your help. I'll try grub2 later then.
Please let me know if you have information with respect to persistent settings on  a fat32 system.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 9:33:05 pm
Cereal-Killer
icon

for persistent settings, you'll find it in the official doc
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 8:42:33 pm
Calimero
icon

If you want to have persistent settings, it's can't be on fat32/ntfs because those FS don't have any permissions handling.
You need to create another partition for this (formatted with ext2 or other).

PS: when you say “install”, it's ambiguous. Putting the live system on a storage doesn't mean installing the system on it.
Installation is performed by the installer, and could as well be done on a flash stick…
(since I see you're talking about persistent data, I assumed you wanted to have the live sytem, not an installation)